Applications Now Closed
About the Magazines Canada Fellowships
We seek to develop the next generation of professionals working in Canadian magazine media to inform, engage and inspire readers around the globe. Magazines Canada presents a series of fellowships to Canadian journalists, students and recent graduates working on stories that explore in depth the issues that are most important to Canadians. The Fellowships program seeks to deepen the conversation on issues that drive our country forward and present these issues in any and all platforms including print, digital and new media. As the issues that shape our country are ever-evolving, so, too, are the topics applicants choose to cover in their submissions. Each year, topics will change, and may range from socio-economic matters, to the economy, to lifestyle and beyond. Applicants may use a variety of storytelling tools to apply for a fellowship, including but not limited to text, illustration, photography, video or audio/podcasts, singly or in combination.
Magazines Canada is committed to equity and inclusion. We welcome applications to the 2018 Fellowship Program from diverse Indigenous, cultural and regional communities.
What do Magazines Canada Fellows Do?
Magazines Canada Fellowships are paid positions at host Canadian magazines. The duration of each fellowship is flexible and will be agreed to by the Fellow and the host magazine. Fellows are embedded at a host magazine based on their interests and the needs of the magazine. They will work with a lead mentor at the host magazine, as well as several senior staff members. Fellows gain valuable experience working in various areas including but not limited to editorial, art direction, circulation, marketing, branding and audience engagement, publishing and information technology. They also broaden their professional network and forge lifelong contacts that will help them throughout their careers.
Customized fellowships agreed to by the Fellow and the host magazine are possible in order to respond to special circumstances including but not limited to: disability, child care, elder care or travel restrictions.
Duration of fellowship: Minimum duration of four (4) months. Maximum duration of six (6) months.
Start date of fellowship: In an effort to provide as much flexibility as possible for both the Fellow and the host magazine, the start date and structure of the fellowship will be jointly determined and agreed upon by the Fellow and host magazine, with the only stipulation being the four- to six-month duration of the fellowship.
A Fellow’s salary is covered by the Magazines Canada Fellowship program and includes a $5,000 contribution from the host magazine.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
The Magazines Canada Fellowships are open to Canadian journalists, students and recent graduates, as well as international students studying in Canada. To be eligible as an applicant, you must be:
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, landed immigrant or an international student studying in Canada and qualified to work in Canada.
- A full-time student in good standing at a recognized post-secondary institution, or
- A recent graduate from a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution. For the 2018 Magazines Canada Fellowships, recent graduates who graduated from their program in the academic years 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 are eligible.
- You must be 18 years of age or older as of January 1, 2018 to be eligible for the 2018 Magazines Canada Fellowships.
Note: Individuals who have been employed on staff at a Canadian magazine(s) for three (3) years or longer are not eligible.
At Magazines Canada, we are committed to equity and inclusion. The adjudication process for the Magazines Canada Fellowships allows for a diversity of views to inform a collective evaluation process. The adjudication panel reflects Canada’s official languages and its diverse Indigenous, cultural and regional communities.
Judges are selected for their experience, knowledge and an ability to be inquisitive, generous and critical, and their ability to make a fair and expert evaluation of the comparative merits of applications to the Fellowship program.
Judges are encouraged to provide feedback to Magazines Canada on how to improve the Fellowship Program and the adjudication process.
Required Application Materials
- A resume and cover letter (please include your projected graduation date, if applicable).
- A description of your career goals. This must include a section that lists and discusses three (3) Canadian magazines you would like to work for, and why, and what qualities and accomplishments you would bring to the organization. This should be no fewer than 200 words and no more than 1000 words in length.
- A statement of intent that explains what subject area(s) relevant to Canada and the current Canadian experience you want to cover and using which storytelling tools e.g. text, illustration, photography, video or audio/podcasts, singly or in combination. This should be no fewer than 200 words and no more than 1000 words in length.
- A portfolio of your work:
- For written work, please include three (3) writing samples. Each sample should be no more than 3000 words in length. Writing samples may have been previously published in a recognized magazine media brand on any platform.
- For illustration or photography, please include five (5) examples of clips, photos and/or interactive graphics via links to a website of your photos, clips and multimedia work. Illustrations and photographs may have been previously published in a recognized magazine media brand on any platform.
- For video or audio/podcasts, please include five (5) examples of your video and/or audio work via links to a website of your video and/or audio work. Video or audio work may have been previously published in a recognized magazine media brand on any platform.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from an employer or teacher.
How to Apply
Applications for the 2018 Fellowship program are now closed. The 2018 Magazines Canada Fellow will be announced at Magazines Canada’s annual MagNet conference April 25–26, 2018 in Toronto.
Please direct questions about submitting to the Magazines Canada Fellowships to Melanie Rutledge, Submissions Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us know how we’re doing and if we can do better. Submit your feedback concerning the Magazines Canada Fellowships to Melanie Rutledge, email@example.com.
The Inaugural Magazines Canada Fellow
Sponsored by Reader’s Digest
We are delighted to announce that the first annual Magazines Canada Fellow is Laura Stewart.
Laura Stewart studies journalism at Mount Royal University and steers most of her reporting assignments toward environment and climate change. She is known for her ambitious coverage of complex issues such as Alberta’s new carbon tax, electrical market reforms and Calgary’s flood protection challenges under an uncertain climate future.
Raised in the rural parkland region in southeast Saskatchewan, where her parents experimented with alternate energy and off-grid living, Laura had a keen early awareness of edge places in both nature and society. Since then she has studied farmers’ adoption of organic practices, contributed to third-party environmental reviews of oilfield projects and volunteered in prairie conservation organizations. Seeing a wide gap between scientific and everyday conversations on the environment, she returned to university to explore better ways to communicate across this divide.
The judges were impressed by Laura’s strong voice, her clear point of view and strong inclination for narrative. She brings to magazine writing a solid scientific background coupled with an urgent desire to tell new Canadian stories.
The host magazine for the inaugural Fellowship is Briarpatch.