For members only
The Magazines Canada Travelling Consultants Program matches seasoned industry professionals with Magazines Canada members from across the country for a customized, full-day session on a desired subject—right in your own office! Learn new techniques and benefit from an expert’s perspective on challenges specific to your magazine. The consultation will give your magazine comprehensive information on changes you can make to your brand for the better.
Please note that there are a limited number of consultations per year, based on project funding, and that consultations will be given to Magazines Canada members in good standing based on a first-come, first-served basis. Each magazine is restricted to one consultation per year.
How to Participate
1. Select a consultation topic from the following:
- Advertising (Sales strategies, value-added packages, media kits, readership surveys, online sales, etc.)
- Brand Extensions (reprints, merchandizing, licensing, source books, special events, trade/consumer shows, etc.)
- Circulation (renewals, subscription promotions, fulfillment, newsstand, digital marketing, etc.)
- Design (covers, layout, page hierarchy, design components, etc.)
- Editorial Administration (improving copy flow, stretching budgets, increasing readership, etc.)
- Financial Management (cashflow, budgets, financial tracking strategy, general business management, etc.)
- Fundraising (direct marketing, donations, events, major gifts, etc.)
- Governance (strategic planning, board of directors role, direction, leadership and not-for-profit management, etc.)
- Grant Writing (for grant-eligible magazines: funding programs, application prep, tips & time savers, etc.)
- Human Resources (staff issues [paid, intern, volunteer] around recruitment, compensation, policies and procedures, etc.)
- Production (scheduling, pre-print and print coordination, negotiations, etc.)
- Publishing (financial and brand management, publishing goals and strategies, etc.)
- Web Development (design and management, marketing strategies, digital opportunities, etc.)
- Web Content (repurposing editorial and graphics, postings, rights, timing, etc.)
2. Complete an online application form providing as much detail as possible on what you would like to cover with the consultant.
Upon receiving and approving your application, Magazines Canada will match you with a consultant who can help you with the topic you have selected.
3. Provide your consultant with detailed background information about your publication. Your consultant will tell you what other materials you should send them in addition to a copy of your most recent issue.
4. Work together with your consultant to set up a meeting day.
5. Complete an evaluation form within two weeks of the consultation and return it to Magazines Canada.
Cost to Participate
Non-Canada-Council-funded Magazines Canada members: Magazines Canada Travelling Consultants are offered exclusively to members at the low rate of $350 (plus HST).
Canada Council-funded members: The subsidization of the Travelling Consultants Program by the Canada Council for the Arts allows Magazines Canada to offer you this program at no cost. Please indicate if you receive funding from Canada Council on your application.
Please note: only members in good standing are eligible to apply to this program.
Questions? Contact: Barbara Zatyko
Magazines Canada acknowledges the support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage, as well as the Canada Council, for this project.
*This is a subsidized program. There are a limited number of consultations and each magazine is restricted to one consultation per year. Consultations are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis once funding is confirmed. Magazines Canada maintains a waiting list of demand exceeds available consultations.