2019 Program Guidelines
Co-funding Support for Ontario Publishers
Building on the success of the 2018 Ontario pilot program, Magazines Canada is launching a Paid Internship Program for Ontario Magazines.
This initiative is designed to connect Ontario magazine publishers with new, diverse, skilled talent while providing interns with the paid work experience, mentorship and industry contacts they need to build careers in the magazine sector.
If you are an Ontario-based magazine publisher interested in hiring a paid intern, you may be eligible for funding to cover 50% of the salary and payroll expenses for a four-month full-time contract position.
How the Program Works
Enrolment in the Paid Internship Program for Ontario Magazines is limited to 10 magazines, each hiring one paid intern for any consecutive four-month period that runs between July 2019 and February 28, 2020.
Once your magazine has been accepted and you’ve signed a contribution agreement, you’ll have the green light to recruit and hire any intern of your choice provided the intern meets the program’s eligibility criteria.
On completion of the internship, both the magazine and the intern will be required to complete a brief individual survey to provide us with your feedback about your experience and to help refine the program going forward.
Once the surveys have been completed and you’ve submitted supporting documents showing the related payroll expense, Magazines Canada will reimburse the magazine for 50% of the paid intern’s compensation to a maximum of $5,150.
To qualify for the program, publishers must:
- Be a Magazines Canada member in good standing.
- Publish an Ontario-based magazine.
And agree to:
- Sign a contribution agreement.
- Provide meaningful full-time work for a consecutive 4 month period between July 2019 and February 2020.
- Recruit, interview and hire an eligible intern (see Internship Eligibility below).
- Commit to intern training, ongoing supervision, coaching and networking opportunities.
- Pay the intern Ontario minimum wage of $14.00 per hour plus statutory payroll related expenses (CPP, EI, WSIB and EHT) for 16 weeks, paid bi-weekly or on the same payroll schedule as employees.
- Meet all Ontario and federal employment regulations and standards.
- Complete a post-internship online survey—one for publishers and one for interns.
- Submit supporting payroll documents (such as a Record of Employment) to receive co-funding reimbursement.
In order to increase the current talent pool and attract new, diverse skilled workers to the magazine sector, the Paid Internship Program for Ontario Magazines has broad internship eligibility criteria in support of your commitment to equal opportunity hiring.
Publishers are encouraged to expand their recruitment efforts to find qualified intern candidates in any of the following categories:
- Individuals with a high school diploma and demonstrated interest, aptitude and transferable skills;
- Students currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution;
- Graduates, within the past five years, of a post-secondary institution;
- Individuals with a career history interested in changing careers.
Interns must be legally entitled to work in Canada and can’t be related to directors, officers or managers of the magazine or publishing company.
Types of Internships
We encourage publishers to explore opportunities for paid work placements in any functional area of the magazine’s operations, including (but not limited to):
- Audience development/Circulation
- Content development (print, digital, social media, podcasts, video, etc.)
- Graphic design
Additional Support for Publishers
As a participant in the program, you’ll have access to Magazines Canada resources to support you throughout the process, including:
- Ready-made templates for job descriptions, job postings, work plans and letters of employment.
- Tips for promoting internship postings to a wider audience to attract a more diverse and inclusive talent pool.
- Free access to promote your internship position on the Work in Culture job board and Magazines Canada website and newsletter.
- Links to resources on hiring best practices and performance management/coaching.
Visit magazinescanada.ca/program-internships-ontario-magazines-resources [member login required].
To help promote the program to a wider talent pool, Magazines Canada will undertake a targeted communications campaign to get the word out to students, recent graduates and other potential interns about the available internship opportunities. We will work with Ontario educational institutions and other organizations with networks in diverse communities to increase awareness and outreach.
How to Apply
Simply complete the application form and submit it to Magazines Canada any time during the enrollment period, beginning July 9, 2019 and ending when the 10 co-funded internships have been allocated. Applications will be assessed on a “first come, first served basis.” We encourage you to submit your application as early as possible to secure a place in the program and receive co-funding for a paid internship.
To apply for the paid internship initiative, applicants are asked to:
- Submit an application providing the names of the key contact person and intern mentor/supervisor
- Briefly tell us:
- How you plan to advertise or promote the paid internship job posting to increase the number of potential candidates;
- What the intern will be doing (please submit a brief intern work plan or job description—template provided);
- The mentoring and networking opportunities you’ll provide;
- Your plans (if any) for post-internship retention.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact: