(Formerly the Cultural Magazines Summit)
Magazines Canada’s Arts & Literary Magazines Summit is a full day of networking, workshops and discussion focused on developing your audience—at home and internationally.
If you work at an art, literary or other cultural magazine, the Arts & Literary Magazines Summit is your opportunity to meet with your peers in a comfortable setting that is all about YOU, YOUR magazines and YOUR challenges. There is no better place to network with cultural magazine colleagues from across Canada.
2018 Arts & Literary Magazines Summit
The Arts & Literary Magazines Summit was held April 26, 2018 as part of MagNet: Canada’s Magazine Conference in Toronto at the Courtyard Toronto Downtown.
The 2018 Arts & Literary Magazines Summit was a full-day, eight-hour deep dive into the inner workings of cultural magazine publishing. The program included:
- Keynote presentation “Amplify and Advocate: How to Build Community through Magazine Publishing” with award-winning writer Cherie Dimaline
- “Strategic Planning for the Dynamic Web: How Arts Mags Can Plan and Grow Online in a Constantly Shifting Environment” with Jessa Agilo (ArtsPond), and Amine El and Margaret Lam (BeMused Network)
- “Practical Steps to Overcoming Barriers and Diversifying Your Contributors” with Chelene Knight (Managing Editor, Room magazine) and Nikki Shaffeeullah (Artistic Director, The Artists Mentoring Youth Project)
- “Enhancing Engagement: How Initiatives to Connect You to Your Audience Can Grow Your Readership and Brand,” with Kate Lesniak (Publisher, Bitch Media)
- Panel discussion on “Secrets of Success: Surprising Ways Arts and Literary Magazines Across Canada Bring in Revenue”
Find the complete Summit program at magnet.magazinescanada.ca/arts-literary-summit.
If you have any questions about the Summit, please contact Evan Dickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
White papers inspired by the Summits are prepared by host Hal Niedzviecki. Each white paper captures the essence of the presentations, the questions that arose and the informal discussions that made up the summit.
This two-minute video offers a look at the 2017 Summit, a sense of the energy in the room and captures enthusiastic reactions from some of the attendees and speakers.
The Arts & Literary Magazines Summit is supported by the Canada Council for the Arts, the Ontario Arts Council and the Toronto Arts Council.