Magazines Canada Distribution sent shipments to about 40 stores during the week of May 25. These shipments featured 20 different issues and went to the same stores receiving the massive April and earlier May shipments, plus a few that have recently reopened, which include three of the country’s best selling stores for Canadian magazines: the McNally Robinson stores in Winnipeg and Saskatoon and Munro’s Books in Victoria, BC. A full list of the open stores is included in this update, below.
About 60% of Magazines Canada’s pre-pandemic retailers remain closed, and, as with the previous lockdown shipments, we were unable to send the usual allotment of copies with this week’s shipments. Extra copies are being held at Tilwood and, when issue timing is appropriate, we have been re-invoicing these titles to stores as they reopen.
Our plan for distribution is to send two more shipments in June. We’ll send to all of these stores and any others that reopen. Still waiting on big stores in Ontario, Quebec and Alberta at this moment.
If you are planning to send a new issue for distribution, please contact Chris Chambers in advance to figure out draw numbers. With stores still closed and no certainty regarding what shopping will look like after they reopen, we are asking most publishers to send fewer copies than usual at this time.
The Magazines Canada warehouse (Tilwood) remains open to receive distribution copies: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm (ET), as usual. If you usually send copies to the Disticor warehouse as well, please redirect them to Tilwood until further notice.
Good news from Chapters/Indigo: their stores have now started reopening with Disticor sending some of our waiting titles to the first of the opening stores this week. Stores with external doors are opening first (mall locations are more complicated). The stores have been closed for ten weeks and will reopen in waves according to provincial guidelines over the next few weeks.
Stay tuned for another distribution update in June. In the meantime, please connect with me with your distribution-related questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retail Accounts Manager
Magazines Canada retailers that are open as of May 28, 2020:
- Al’s News, Grande Prairie AB
- Armchair Books, Whistler BC
- Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, Victoria BC
- Atlantic News, Halifax NS
- Bill’s News & Confectionary, Dawson Creek BC
- Books & Company, Prince George BC
- Christopher’s Smoke Shop, St. Catharines ON
- Club Cigar, Lethbridge AB
- Daily Globe News, Calgary AB
- Dominion News & Gifts, Winnipeg MB
- Glebe Smoke Shop, Ottawa ON
- Inglewood Art Supplies, Calgary AB
- International News – Front Street, Toronto ON
- Ivy’s Bookshop, Victoria BC
- Latitude 53 Society of Artists, Edmonton AB
- Luke’s Drug Mart, Calgary AB
- Mac’s Fireweed Books, Whitehorse YK
- Magazines Lecto, Quebec City QC
- Markdale Pharmacy, Markdale ON
- McNally Robinson Booksellers, Saskatoon SK
- McNally Robinson Booksellers, Winnipeg MB
- McNews, North Vancouver BC
- Misty River Books, Terrace BC
- Munro’s Bookstore Ltd, Victoria BC
- Novel Idea, Kingston ON
- Pages Book Emporium, Cranbrook BC
- Presse Internationale – Beach, Toronto ON
- Presse Internationale – Bloor, Toronto ON
- Roltek International Ltd, Toronto ON
- Salt Spring Books, Salt Spring Island BC
- Smokers Corner, Pickering ON
- Spartacus Books, Vancouver BC
- Tabagie du Boulevard, Trois-Rivieres QC
- Tanner’s Books, Sidney BC
- The Gifted Type, Ottawa ON
- Turning the Tide, Saskatoon SK
- Words Worth Books, Waterloo ON