Magazines Canada Distribution sent shipments to over thirty stores during the week of April 21. These were the first shipments sent since March 11 and included 42 different titles. Most of the stores we sent to are open to the browsing public, but a few stores said they would prefer to have the new titles on hand for online and phone orders and in anticipation of opening soon.
With about two-thirds of Magazines Canada’s retailers closed, we were unable to send the usual allotment of copies. If issue timing is appropriate, we plan to re-invoice these titles to stores as they reopen.
Our plan for distribution is to send another shipment in May. We’ll send to all of these stores and any others that reopen. In this update, we’ve included a list of stores that received shipments from us in April. Please spread the word about them, or, where possible, mask up and drop in!
If you are planning to send a new issue for distribution in May, please contact Chris Chambers in advance to figure out your draw numbers. With many stores currently closed, no certainty as to when they’ll be back open or, really, what shopping will look like after they are, we are asking most publishers to send fewer copies than usual at this time.
The Magazines Canada warehouse (Tilwood) remains open to receive distribution copies: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 4 pm, as usual. If you usually send copies to the Disticor warehouse as well, please redirect them to Tilwood until further notice.
A surprise announcement from Barnes & Noble (a U.S chain of bookstores similar to Chapters/Indigo) has them halting magazine sales. About two-thirds of the 600+ stores are closed south of the border at this time. There has been no such announcement from Indigo, whose entire chain of stores remains closed in Canada until “at least June.”
Stay tuned for another distribution update in mid-May. In the meantime, and at any time, please connect with me with your distribution-related questions: 1.877.238.8354 x233 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retail Accounts Manager
Magazines Canada Retailers Who Received the April 2020 Shipment
- Al’s News, Grande Prairie AB
- Armchair Books, Whistler BC
- Atlantic News, Halifax NS
- Bill’s News & Confectionary, Dawson Creek BC
- Books & Company, Prince George BC
- Christopher’s Smoke Shop, St. Catharines ON
- Club Cigar, Lethbridge AB
- Daily Globe News, Calgary AB
- Dominion News & Gifts, Winnipeg MB
- Glebe Smoke Shop, Ottawa ON
- Inglewood Art Supplies, Calgary AB
- International News – Front Street, Toronto ON
- Ivy’s Bookshop, Victoria BC
- K W Bookstore, Kitchener ON
- Luke’s Drug Mart, Calgary AB
- Mac’s Fireweed Books, Whitehorse YK
- Magazines Lecto, Quebec City QC
- Mags & Fags Inc, Ottawa ON
- McNews, North Vancouver BC
- Misty River Books, Terrace BC
- Northfield Esso, Nanaimo BC
- Novel Idea, Kingston ON
- Pages Book Emporium, Cranbrook BC
- Presse Internationale – Beach, Toronto ON
- Presse Internationale – Bloor, Toronto ON
- Roltek International Ltd, Toronto ON
- Salt Spring Books, Salt Spring Island BC
- Smokers Corner, Pickering ON
- Tabagie du Boulevard, Trois-Rivieres QC
- Tanner’s Books, Sidney BC
- Turning the Tide, Saskatoon SK
- Words Worth Books, Waterloo ON