Magazines Canada is hiring a student for the summer.
Canada’s national magazine association is seeking a Research and Engagement Assistant to support Magazines Canada staff in a variety of crucial membership engagement activities. This position comes with a front row seat to Canada’s dynamic and rapidly evolving magazine sector. The assistant will aid the communications team in sharing industry news and association activity with our members and stakeholders. The assistant will also research Canada’s magazine industry to identify new magazines and update Magazines Canada’s member database. They may be assigned other tasks, such as graphic design and video editing according to their aptitude and Magazines Canada’s need.
This position is an outstanding opportunity for a student interested in exploring a career in Canada’s magazine media. As a Magazines Canada employee, the Research and Engagement Assistant will also have an unparalleled opportunity to learn on their own initiative. They will have full access to the association’s massive archive of professional development resources, including advice documents, podcasts, videos and recorded webinars, all created by or featuring magazine professionals.
Magazines Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people who may be underrepresented in the Canadian workforce. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, gender, sexual orientation or nature of disability; we welcome applications from candidates of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
To apply, contact Evan Dickson, Member Services and Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: June 4
Hours: 30 hours per week for 8 weeks
Wage: $16 per hour (subject to all statutory deductions)
- Create new web pages for magazinescanada.ca
- Produce Magazines Canada’s bi-weekly member e-newsletter
- Create social media content
- Perform basic video editing
- Research Canada’s magazine industry
- Perform administrative duties as assigned
- Other duties may be assigned according to the candidate’s aptitude and Magazines Canada’s need
Characteristics and Skills
- Positive attitude and self-motivated work ethic
- Active interest in learning about and supporting Canada’s magazine media
- Strong written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign and Premiere Pro
- Familiarity with Excel and other office software
Canada Summer Jobs Criteria
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs program and as such the applicant must fit the following criteria. The applicant must…
- be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- have been registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- intend to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- be a student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program and;
- be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Magazines Canada acknowledges the support of the Employment and Social Development Canada through Canada Summer Jobs.