Job Title: Project Communications Coordinator
Company: Magazines Canada
Office Location: Toronto
Job Type: Contract, five days per week to March 31, 2020
Application Deadline: January 25, 2019
Magazines Canada is looking for a contract Project Communications Coordinator to work on the “Discovering Canadian Magazines in a Changing Marketplace” project, which is a national promotion effort that markets Magazines Canada member magazines to Canadian consumers. The project is designed to increase consumer discovery of Canadian magazines through retail promotions, partnered out-of-store events, and digital content.
In addition to supporting the Discovery project’s communications functions, the Project Communications Coordinator will also support Magazines Canada’s communications to members and other stakeholders.
About Magazines Canada:
Magazines Canada is the national association and lead advocate for the advancement of Canadian magazines. The association focuses on government affairs, professional development, research, national marketing campaigns, and delivering services that meet the needs of the magazine industry.
As a membership-based, not-for-profit trade association, Magazines Canada’s communications engage a number of stakeholders—including member magazines, the publishing industry, government, funding institutions and the Canadian reading public—and focus on the importance, vibrancy and relevance of Canadian magazines. Communications channels include social media, newsletters, websites, print and digital content, and public documents.
About the position:
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Project Communications Coordinator will work with developed strategies to create and coordinate project elements, as well as contributing ideas to project communications strategy.
This position markets a wide array of Canadian consumer magazines to the Canadian public, and communicates with many different stakeholder groups. We are looking for someone with magazine knowledge/experience, strong written communication skills, proficiency in digital design and digital communication skills, excellent attention to detail, and interest/experience in marketing and communications.
- Creating, editing, proofing and deploying project communications, both written and visual, which includes:
- Creating social media content and overseeing Magazines Canada’s social presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Writing promotional and informational copy for the Magazine Moments newsletter, and designing and sending via Mailchimp.
- Tracking magazine and stakeholder communications and managing workback schedules in conjunction with the Communications Director.
- Supporting Magazines Canada’s communications to members by producing:
- Website content for magazinescanada.ca, which includes association news and resources in English and French, via WordPress.
- Magazines Canada newsletters, including press releases, Member Bulletins, and the biweekly industry newsletter Cover Lines, via Mailchimp.
- Corporate secretariat materials like Board books, materials for the annual general meeting, and advocacy campaigns.
- Contributing ideas to communications strategies, including research and ideas on content, design, target stakeholder groups, partner relationship development, marketing and execution.
- Tracking and analyzing performance results for granting and audit purposes.
- Coordinating translations, design projects and video recordings.
- Newsletter list management.
- Event management logistics support at Magazines Canada events.
- Grant-writing support for projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor undergraduate university degree in a relevant field, or equivalent experience in communications, marketing and social media.
- Excellent written communication skills. Ability to communicate in French, verbally and in writing, would be an asset.
- Demonstrated understanding of digital communications and marketing. Ability to design and create engaging visual content for digital platforms, including websites, video and social media.
- Superior attention to details.
- Ability to self-start and manage a diverse range of assignments with high efficiency.
- Critical thinking skills to identify, analyze and evaluate problems, issues and opportunities.
- Proven ability to manage a demanding workload under tight deadlines.
- Resourcefulness, maturity and the ability to work within a team-oriented environment.
- Proficiency in Windows, including Word and Excel, and other office software.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and their management tools.
How to apply:
Magazines Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people who may be underrepresented in the Canadian workforce. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, gender, sexual orientation or nature of disability; we welcome applications from candidates of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Please send a cover letter, resume and any relevant writing samples, public social media or communications projects in which you have played a role, by 5 pm (ET) on Friday, January 25, 2019 to Brianne DiAngelo at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Application: Project Communications Coordinator.”
No phone inquiries, please.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.