May 13, 2020
Dear Magazines Canada members,
Last Friday, the federal government announced more details concerning the $500 million COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations. As we reported to you on that same day, this funding will be relevant to three groups within Magazines Canada’s membership, as well as within the industry more broadly:
- Canadian magazine publishers who receive Aid to Publishers support via the Canada Periodical Fund (CPF)
- Canadian magazine publishers who receive support via the Canada Council for the Arts
- Canadian magazine publishers who do not currently receive support from either the CPF or the Council
Magazines Canada worked with our provincial magazine association colleagues to leverage this additional support for the sector from the federal government. I would like to acknowledge the tremendous collaboration and support from leadership at the provincial magazine associations: Sylvia Skene, Executive Director, Magazine Association of BC (MagsBC); Suzanne Trudel, Executive Director, Alberta Magazine Publishers Association (AMPA); and Nicolas Rondeau-Lapierre, Executive Director, L’Association québécoise des éditeurs de magazines (AQEM). Thank you, guys!
Today, we have more details for publishers who receive Aid to Publishers (ATP) support via the Canada Periodical Fund:
- The letters of approval for your expedited 2020 ATP contributions will be sent this Friday, May 15.
- Three to four business days following this, your 2020 ATP contribution will be disbursed.
- Next Tuesday, May 19, the Department of Canadian Heritage will send all ATP recipient publishers a straightforward attestation form to complete in order to receive the 25% top-up to your 2020 ATP contribution. You need to attest that you will not spend the top-up on expenses against which you are already applying other federal support, e.g. the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy. There has been some confusion on this point. As long as you can attest to this, however, you should be eligible to receive the 25% top-up.
- You will receive the 25% top-up in a separate payment from your expedited 2020 ATP contribution. We will confirm the timing of the release of the top-up as soon as possible.
We also have a few more details for publishers who receive support via the Canada Council for the Arts:
- The Canada Council is finalizing the process for Council-supported organizations to apply for the Emergency Support Fund.
- More details on eligibility requirements and how Council-supported organizations can present a request for support will be communicated to all eligible Council clients shortly.
The Department of Canadian Heritage is finalizing details of a program for publishers who do not currently receive support from the CPF or the Canada Council, so that these publishers may also receive some federal government support. More details about this program will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.
Please reach out to Melanie Rutledge, Executive Director, with questions pertaining to any of this: firstname.lastname@example.org or 613.816.0823.
Executive Director, Government Relations Lead